Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Twitter and Facebook and YouTube...Oh My!

"We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto!" That's what I was thinking as I got out of the car looking for a payphone because I left out the house sans cell phone. Let me clarify that, sans my brother's cell phone that he urges me to carry because I do not own one. I revealed my private shame to a supervisor one day in front of a co-worker. The reaction was similar to how the mother reacted to the little dying alien on the floor in the movie "E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial;" absolute horror.

Now, let me start out by saying that I am not anti-technology, or one that reminisces about the good ole' days when you had to walk ten miles to find a payphone if your car broke down and you liked it! No. I am not exceptionally cheap and have no real fear of contractual commitment. I just don't have a cell phone. There's no real reason for it. However, I do admit to a deep seated, maybe even subconscious, reproach for conformity and a rebellious attitude, in general.

I do realize that I am missing out on a world that many people can't seem to do without. I am also aware that the world has adjusted to this new reality without me, ipso facto, no payphones to be found anywhere. So, my goal is to get a phone next week so I can join the rest of America and keep up with technology trends.

What I don't get is why someone would choose to connect Twitter to their cellphones and/or send pictures to YouTube and Facebook via phone? Especially, while they are walking down the street, on a break from work, or worst yet, working. Are we really that social? Do we really need to communicate with the world that much that we can't wait until we get home to do these things? Is it really that urgent?

YouTube is another curiosity to me. I remember a time (sigh...yes, I'm at that age) when people actually sat around at this thing called a dinner table and/or picked up a telephone connected to a land line, told stories, talked about their day, laughed, schemed, and planned for the next day. I don't ever recall anyone in my family feeling an urge to videotape (they did exist in the 70s and 80s) my father passing gas, or the dog chasing the cat. Sharing these mundane and somewhat embarrassing activities with the world just would never enter our minds. Or *gasp* trying to make money off these videos just baffles and astounds me. This was a private world. Now, there was "America's Funniest Home Videos," but, in my house, we thought these people who turned in these videotapes had too much time on their hands and it just wasn't as pervasive as YouTube and other sites like it.

Don't get me wrong. I think social media is an excellent marketing tool. It has the potential to unite the world, broaden thinking, bring new ideas to the world quickly and efficiently. It can connect geographically disconnected family members and make life more bearable in many ways for many people. But, my theory has always been that technology should not take the place of real human interaction and one on one communication. Additionally, technology should be a tool for human use. When it starts to hurt or displace humans, real thought should be given as to whether or not the cons outweigh the pros. Now, a true business person would laugh loudly in my face and say that companies are in business to make money and if technology boosts the bottom line, it should be used. As the Tin Man song goes in the Wizard of Oz, "Oh, God gave me a soul. But, he forget to give me common sense. If I only had an ounce of common sense!"

It's definitely a new world, especially for anyone over the age of 35. People walk around with their heads down, texting and twittering, while they step over homeless people, or mumble a quick, "Get a job!" But, we'll support the latest celebrity cause to feed the hungry or attend P. Diddy's White Party via UStream to fight malaria. Some of us say the most vile, racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic , bigoted things that we can possible say, under screen names like , "Screwuall" or "Sexyvixen." This anonymity seems to bring out the worst in us. Trust me, I realize the irony of me even writing this blog complaining about the evasiveness of technology...lol (See, what I mean. I now write that I'm laughing).

All I'm trying to say is, I'm getting a cell phone. But, I'll only use it in case of an emergency. Hopefully, the gas station attendant that helps me pump the gas into the gas can won't Twitter about how large my posterior is, take a picture of it, post it on YouTube, and start a UStream show about obesity featuring a picture of my behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment