Friday, July 24, 2009

I Don't Like the Carpet that Much

I am scared of the police. Scared like the first time I saw "The Exorcist." I'm scared like, "Somebody call my mama, BET, and CNN. The police just pulled me over for driving too slow. I might not make it home." When the lights flash on me, I stop in the middle of the street, if I don't think I can pull over fast enough, I don't dare touch my phone or my purse, and I pray to the Lord in Heaven to get me through this encounter. I don't know when I first learned to be scared. Maybe, the image of my father coming home with a bloody bandage wrapped tightly around his head because he didn't move fast enough away from a cab when police told him to.

It should be the other way around, since I pay state and municipal taxes, therefore, their salaries. They should be afraid of angering/hurting the citizens they are supposed to protect and serve. But, that protect and serve creed has never been applied evenly to black people in "other" communities and most definitely not in poor black and brown communities; even by black and brown cops.

Now, this brings me to the reason why I am posting this: Henry Louis Gates Jr., world renowned historian and tenured Professor at Harvard University, was arrested for disorderly conduct at his own home! Sergeant Crowley of the Cambridge, Massachusetts police department, an 11-year veteran, who teaches classes on racial profiling and sensitivity, apparently forgot all his lessons when confronted with a belligerent 58 year-old Gates who walks with a cane. Crowley and Gates disagree on what actually transpired prior to the arrest. However, we know words were exchanged and the black man ended up in jail. Granted, the charges were dropped, President Obama said they behaved stupidly, and Gates' is on a racial profiling world tour indicating that he wants to write a book about the experience and maybe make a documentary. I'm just waiting for him to be the opening act for Q-Tip.

But, this is what astonishes me more than anything. Professor Gates didn't seem scared like I am and most other black people I know. My father was an officer for 8 years (post police beating) and I still don't mess with the po-po. Whatever they ask me to do, I acquiesce quietly, unless they are talking about violating my civil rights or me as a woman. Under those circumstances, I would have a really big mouth. But, the officer asked Gates to produce some identification, proving his residency and he asked Sgt. Crowley for his badge and I.D. number. When I heard that and that he allegedly threw a "yo mama" in there, my mouth fell open and I almost passed out. I had flashbacks to extension cord whippings from my parents, but 100 times worse from 5.0.. Then, the President of the United States backed him up. That's gangsta. Now, when he told that officer, "You don't know who you're messing with. You just made a career mistake." I was like, "I gotta get a job at Harvard." The situation begs the questions, "Would a black officer have gotten the same reaction from Gates? Would a white professor have gotten the same treatment from Crowley?"

But, just to be clear, as President Obama would say, a healthy regard for authority would be beneficial for all Americans. But, black folks can't forget the images of police enforcing Jim Crow laws with doberman pinschers and fire hoses. So, when is it time to speak up and assert your rights? My theory is that I have to have three people with cell phones around and cameras activated, a news camera, and a helmet on my head in case of knee jerk flap jack action from the POlice. But, I think reactions should be determined on a case by case basis. Question to self: "Am I willing to die because a white police officer asked me if I really live here?" Hmmmm....maybe not. I don't like the carpet that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment