Monday, August 10, 2009

Read "The Alchemist." Didn't Change My Life.

Let me preface this by explaining where and when I became very interested in the book, "The Alchemist," by Paulo Coelho. Will Smith, a.k.a. The Fresh Prince, Grammy award winning rapper and Oscar nominated actor, spoke to Tavis Smiley, journalist, activist, radio/television personality, on his eponymous PBS show about his life, how he has gotten to where he is, and how he determines where to go next. Here is an excerpt:

Make a choice. Like you just decide what it's going to be, who you're going to be, how you're going to do it. Just decide, and then from that point, the universe is going to get out your way. It's water; it wants to move and go around stuff. So for me, I want to represent possibilities. I want to represent the idea that you really can make what you want.

One of my favorite books is "The Alchemist," Paulo Coelho, and I just believe that. I believe that I can create whatever I want to create. If I can put my head on it right, study it, learn the patterns, and - it's hard to put into words, it's real metaphysical, esoteric nonsense, but I feel very strongly that we are who we choose to be.


Now, who better to take advice from than a multi-millionaire father of three, married for twelve years, and internationally known superstar? So, I bought the book being that I'm on a journey of my own in life. I was hoping maybe I could gain some new insights. I didn't really feel I learned anything new.

Now, it was a VERY GOOD BOOK! But, I think I've been spoiled by the fact that I've already read the most life and heart altering book that, I think, any human being can read, The Bible. In fact, many of the stories or lessons in the book are reiterations and allusions to Bible stories and characters. The same thing happened when I read "The Secret." My question was, "Is 'you reap what you sow' really a secret?"

Now, the question I have to ask myself is, "Why am I still searching for what I already have?" Is knowledge still knowledge if you don't use it? These are questions that I have to answer for myself.

The main differences that I see in the lessons I've learned from the Bible and from these books is that the Bible speaks of relying on Him for everything. God asks us to throw our burdens on Him. He asks us to roll our problems onto his back, if we can't throw them, which I find to be a very touching and loving Psalm. Also, he gives us a commission to preach about the good news of his Kingdom coming. So, the Bible basically tells us what our life goal or mission should be.

However, these books ask you to look into yourself for the answers to your problems, or to listen to your heart, etc. The implication being that we are directly connected to God, or have the same powers and knowledge as God. Additionally, these books imply that we should follow our own agenda, or "Personal Legend." Some may have a different interpretation. However, this is how I have interpreted what I have read. This is an area where I am really challenged morally and ideologically.

There is an appeal for me in the idea that I don't have to wait to hear God's voice because we are connected to God and God is in us. Or, that God is all around us and we sense Him in nature. Those ideas make God seem more personal to me.

So, like I said, the book didn't change my life. It's not my favorite. But, it did make me think a little more deeply about my relationship to God and how that shapes my life's goals. So, it's worth the read, in other words. But, don't expect miracles.




http://www.pbs.org/kcet/tavissmiley/archive/200712/20071213_smith.html

No comments:

Post a Comment